Picture Organic's sustainability
We expect the brands we choose in our collection to meet our sustainability criteria. Our criteria consist of actions that take the environment, social conditions and climate into consideration. Here’s how Picture Organic meets our criteria:
Brand uses environmentally preferred raw materials for more than 70% of its volume.
- Over 70% of the materials used by Picture Organic are environmentally preferred raw-materials. Most of the materials they use are organic cotton (33%) and recycled polyester (28%). They also use polyester, stainless steel, Bio-sourced polyester, cotton, wool, Lyocel/Tencel and other materials.
Brand reports on the implementation of its environmental policy related to the ‘wet processes’ within the production cycle, like bleaching and dyeing of raw materials
- Picture Organic uses Avitera Se dyes, which are 100% Oeko-Tex certified. The dyeing solutions for lifestyle products made from organic cotton take place in Turkey. This reduces water and energy consumption by 50% compared to traditional methods for the same production volume.
Brand has eliminated at least three suspect chemical group, such as Phthalates or Perfluorinated Chemicals from its entire production
- Picture Organic's technical garments are PFC free and they only use PFC free water repellent treatment for their technical garments.
Brand reports what percentage of its consumer packaging materials are renewable or made from recycled materials, and the brand implements concrete policies which have reduced the environmental impact of their packaging materials
- Picture Organic has done a lot of development work on this and they have already been able to remove 21% of the polybags they would have normally used in the winter of 2020/2021. The change has been made by converting the individually wrapped polybags of the products to paper roll packing. For some products, they still have to use plastic bags but are constantly working to reduce plastic use and reduce plastic packaging through various methods.
Brand encourages the longevity of products by offering a lifetime guarantee, repair services or supporting the return or re-use of garments
- Picture Organic aims to make products that can be used for as long as possible, however if a product breaks they will always try to repair the product whenever possible. Repairs increase the longevity of the product and reduce its overall impact on the environment. They also plan to expand their repair centers network in the future to bring their repair services closer to their customers.
Brand supports environmental NGOs or other organizations to promote environmental sustainability
- Solar Portraits - Promotes solar power in places that experience “electricity underdevelopment”.
- WWF - Picture Organic is working closely together, particularly on the initiative to wipe out the use of fossil fuels.
- Protect Our Winters - Supporting their lobby campaigns Objectif -57% and Vote Now, Ride Later.
- LowTech Lab - Promote simple, accessible, and eco-friendly low-technology systems that address essential needs (energy, water, food)
- Summit Foundation - Goal is to reduce the environmental impact of human activity in heavily-visited areas.
- Riders For Refugees - Help refugees in France
- Mountain Wilderness - Garbage cleanup expedition to Mustagh Ata (Himalaya) where they removed a total of 800 kg of garbage from the mountain.
Fair social conditions are audited by third parties (For operations outside EU)
- Picture Organic is a member of the Fair Wear Foundation, which works with brands, factories, unions, non-profit organizations and sometimes even governments to improve working conditions for garment workers. Every year, FWF conducts an audit on their purchasing practices, relationships with factories, and their ability to implement initiatives that benefit workers.They share Fair Wear's audits and social reports on their website.
Origin of the materials, design and the manufacturing is shared openly
- Picture Organic provides the exact material information and country of manufacture for all its products on the product page of each product.
Brand is following buying practices that enable living wages and good labour conditions, such as long-term relations with factories, and concentrating production at a limited number of factories
- Picture Organic, together with the Fair Wear Foundation, enables and ensures that factory workers receive living wages and good working conditions, including long-term relationships with factories and the concentration of production in a limited number of factories.
Open list of direct suppliers that have collectively contributed to more than 90% of the purchase volume
- Picture Organic openly shares information about their factories and you can also find information about the manufacturing site for each product on their website. Find out more about the factories on their site here.
Brand supports social NGOs or other organizations to promote social sustainability
- Picture Organic supports the Fashion Revolution movement to promote greater transparency within the garment industry.
Picture Organic manufacturing happens in low-risk countries Turkey, Taiwan and China. Picture Organic is a member of the Fair Wear Foundation and a big part of their efforts is to further improve the working conditions of the people who make their products. Picture Organic commits internally, not publicly to a living wage benchmark with defined wages per production region or factory.
Has the brand disclosed the annual absolute climate footprint of its 'own operations', and has it accomplished an overall absolute climate footprint reduction compared to the result of the previous reporting year?
- Picture Organic has disclosed the annual absolute climate footprint of its 'own operations', and has accomplished an overall absolute climate footprint reduction compared to the result of the previous reporting year. Check the carbon footprint on their site here.
Is at least 50% of the electricity used by the brand generated from renewable resources, such as wind or solar energy?
- Yes, Picture Organic also plans to increase the use of renewable and low-carbon energy sources in our production process, especially in Turkey and Taiwan, where 84% of their total production volume is located. In Taiwan, solar panels have already been installed as a way to self-power the lamination factory they work with, and a similar project is currently underway in Turkey (cotton spinning factory).
Picture Organic's history, values and sustainability
Picture Organic was founded by Julien, Jeremy and Vincent who are lifelong friends and passionate skate- and snowboarders from France. They are producing organic, recycled & bio-sourced products for snowboarding, skiing, surfing and the outdoors.
Their goal is to be fully committed to being responsible with the whole cycle of products: the design, raw materials, the making, the use, the 2nd life and end of life. After sales service processes products through repair to recycling or donation. Picture's products are made from 100% recycled, organic or responsibly sourced materials.
Picture has a clear concept based on strong values.The best possible environmentally friendly product design. Unique designs that stand out with their fresh colors and are appreciated for their high quality. Cost prices are controlled to make the products a real alternative to traditional industrial production.
2019 Picture Organic earned B Corp certification, the highest distinction for companies committed to making environmental and social responsibility a core part of their business.
"For us, B CORP certification reinforces our credibility, acknowledging and rewarding the efforts Picture has made from the beginning, in 2008. However, it is not the end of the road! We also view certification as a fantastic way to identify the areas of improvement, providing us with a great roadmap for future actions and programs." Julien DURANT, CEO
Picture Organic, it’s factories or fabrics have also met the criteria for these certifications:
- B-Corp certification
- Bluesign certificate
- GOTS certificate
- Global Recycled Standard
- Avitera Se
- Organic 100 content standard
- OEKO-TEX 100 standard certificate
- I made your clothes
- FairWear Foundation